Saint John the Baptist, Lyn
Saint John the Baptist has been called one of the most beautiful and architecturally significant churches in Elizabethtown-Kitley. It is modeled after a miniature gothic stone cathedral, and is surrounded by stone walls. It was built in a Gothic Revivalist style. This church design was copied in wood and brick in small towns all over Ontario. The architect, Thomas Fuller, later designed and built the original Houses of Parliament in Ottawa, although only the library remains. Construction on this church began in 1858. However, its construction was soon halted because the Coleman family, who had assumed much of the financial responsibility for its construction, ran into financial difficulties. The uncompleted church sat for a number of years, with the Anglican congregation worshiping in other area churches in the interim. Construction started again on the church in 1864, and it was eventually finished in 1869. Stone for this church came from quarries in Lyn and Brockville. The stone was drawn to the site by members of the church congregation. Also of note is the extremely large cemetery behind the church. It contains the graves of Lyn area residents from the early 1800's to the present day.
St. John's is a small active congregation that is rooted in the tradition of the rural church in the Diocese of Ontario. We worship together weekly led in prayer by our clergy and a faithful group of layreaders.
We also have an active ACW who support one another and the congregation by fundraising and pastoral care. The ACW are active in outreach supporting many important groups and ministries in our Community.
The congregation as a whole is also concerned for the community around us and contributes to the community in many ways including supporting our local school and sponsoring a local children's Softaball Team in the Lyn Minor Softball League.
We invite you to join us for worship and experince our warm and joyous church family.